A team effort is required by transportation and campus personnel as well as parents and students to ensure that each child travels to and from school safely each day. The following questions and answer may assist parents and students in understanding their role in helping transportation and campus personnel accomplish these goals:
What are the parent's responsibilities?
- Have your child at the bus five minutes prior to scheduled pick-up time (ideally 10 minutes earlier the first day of school, until routes have been established).
- If possible, teach your child their full name, home address, and telephone number where an adult family member may be contacted in an emergency.
- If possible, accompany your elementary aged child(ren) to the bus stop. (This is strongly suggested for younger elementary students).
- Remind students to watch for siblings at bus loading and unloading times, and encourage them to notify the bus driver of any concerns of a sibling not loading the bus, or getting off at the appropriate stop.
What is the parent's responsibility at drop-off time?
- In the event you are unable to be home when your child arrives, arrange an alternate plan with your child: where to go, a hidden key, talk to a neighbor, etc. Careful planning for the unexpected can greatly reduce your child's anxieties!
- If possible, be at the bus stop five minutes before the bus is scheduled to drop off your elementary aged child(ren).
What if my child needs to get off at a stop other than their regularly assigned stop?
- NOTIFY YOUR CHILD'S CAMPUS IN WRITING (by note or fax) before the last 30 minutes of the school day of any change needed in your child's transportation. This will ensure sufficient time for communication of the change to the appropriate parties.
- The consistency of your child's stop location can eliminate the possibilities of miscommunication and the potential of a hazardous situation.
What behavior is expected of a student while riding the school bus?
- All students are expected to follow the bus safety rules for their own safety and safety of others.
How will safety infractions be handled?
- The bus driver will discuss the safety infraction with the student.
- The driver may elect to report the safety infraction to the campus, using a Bus Safety Notice.
- The campus makes the decision of what disciplinary action will be taken in accordance with the district's Student Code of Conduct.